October 2, 2008

Our First Case Worker Visit

Wednesday at 1pm our case worker in Kansas City, Susan, came for our first post placement visit. We like Susan a lot she is a nice, christian lady and I highly recommend her services if you are in the KC area and looking to start the adoption process. She has to come in and make sure that we are taking good care of Shiloh, that there are no major issues, and that everyone is bonding well. She asked questions like, "how much is she eating, what type of formula, any medical problems, has she been to the doctor, and so on. Other funny questions like "how many toys does she have are funny to me, yet it isn't a bother like I felt in the beginning of this process. It helps that Shiloh is already ours and I am not asking permission, but just double checking now. All through this process everyone from case workers to lawyers and even our judge have asked us if we are sure this is what we want to do and "now is the time to change your mind if you want". We would have been retarded to get this far a long and say, "oh I don't feel like being a mommy anymore, or no I don't want to rescue a little one". It is just amazing the hoops that adoptive parents have to jump through that most bio parents never take a moment the think on. Sometimes I wonder where our country went so wrong that our social system awards drug addicts custody of children only to take them back a few months later for neglect, and yet people who want nothing more than to love and care for children through adoption must climb high mountains of paper work, endure interview after interview and then wait in faith for your little one to be permanently placed in your arms. It is amazing, really.
I am so thankful to my family and friends for their constant support in prayer and financially giving towards Shiloh's adoption. I am so blessed with a beautiful, healthy, perfect baby girl. I am thrilled to watch my husband holding and caring for this little helpless one with such tenderness. I tear up when someone says oh she is so beautiful. I had nothing to do with that, yet she is mine and I am so proud. I love not saying anything when we are out and people assume she is mine because she looks like me. I know and she will know, but the world can just watch in wonder as two become one. There is an adoption revolution brewing in this nation, and in our little IHOP community. God is changing the "why" behind adoptions to the "why not." People are jumping on planes to adopt twins and families with 7 children are saying "what's two or three more?" It is awesome and I am glad to be a part of this thing that is so close to God's heart. Thank you for partnering with us and continue to pray for Shiloh and us as we are learning how to parent this beautiful little gift.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

It really is amazing the hoops adoptive parents have to jump through! And I agree...let's ask "why not?" instead of "why?"!

Ryan & Shari said...

aww.. i can't believe how big she is getting and so cute!! I still want to come see her.. maybe this weekend??