January 13, 2010

Haiti Relief

As most of you know there was a devastating 7.0 earthquake that literally flattened most of Por-Au-Prince Haiti on Tues. Our ministry (One Heart Ministries http://ohmhaiti.org/) is trying to reach friends and family, but we have not had much luck.
I have spent most of today running around to different contacts and warehouses getting supplies ready for CRI teams( crisis response international www.criout.org) that will be deploying tomorrow to Haiti. My friend James Adams is going with them to Port-au-Prince, then once he gets them to their destination he will then go and look for his family. After he finds them and they are safe he will rejoin the CRI team and then return home to his family. Once he is back here in the KC we will re-group and see where OHM stands in providing aid. However the CRI team will stay there, assess the situation, and then send word back to their headquarters to deploy the second wave of people that will take supplies and such. They are expecting to send out the second wave this coming Tues. I will be coordinating with the headquarters located here in KC to get supplies and funds to the team there on the ground. Today was such a day and we were able to get some much needed supplies and we also equipped this first assessment team with first aid equipment and personal meds. Tuesdays team will take potions of the other medical supplies and so on. I am trying to get some medications donated to the organization as well out of Tulsa.

One of the biggest needs will be clean water and food. There are no filtration systems in Port-au-Prince as it is and now that lines are down it will be nearly impossible to get any clean water. I have been calling pastors and friends today and urging them to have their congregations to take up offerings this Sunday to provide that needed financial side that CRI can purchase clean water and filters. Please consider giving at their web site www.criout.org or at http://ohmhaiti.org

At this point I am praying as to whether I should go to Haiti with CRI in the coming weeks to aid in medical care of the wounded and displaced. I am scheduled to take a medical team into the country March 5-11th, but I will have to see what the assessment team sends back to us and what my team members are thinking.One of my team members feels that she is to go now and has filled out and application with CRI already. Steven and I have talked and agree on me going, I am just waiting to see when. Finances will also be an issues as I will need to purchase a ticket to get there. If you want to give towards me going just email me and I will keep you updated. If you want to go please go to www.criout.org and fill out their application online. I am going to be talking with them often and will possibly be taking a team in for them.

Thank you for your prayers and please consider giving to either of these ministries that are both connected with IHOP-KC to give not only aid to the suffering of Haiti, but the true living water that they will never thirst again.

No comments: