April 28, 2010

Some Just Don't Get A Chance

Today as I walked into work one of the staff told me that there was an unfortunate accident this morning involving one of our children. Truly it was unfortunate although after hearing the story I am not sure that it was an accident. The two children were fighting on their dorm and one boy slammed the door on the other boys hand and it amputated his little finger. They took him to the ER however they could not save the finger. They cut the bone and created a little skin flap over the amputation. This little guy has had a terrible year and this is just the icing on the cake. How much can one heart take? How much can one little broken, RAD heart take? Will he retreat even deeper inside to dull the pain? I don't know.

He is one of many, whose parents abused and neglected him. His little heart shut down from all the trauma and he refused to be loved. He was abused in foster care and became a predator because of it. He was adopted by a family that wasn't quite aware of what they were getting. They just relinquished their rights back over to the state. So here he is again in the balance. His case worker has been changed four times since being here and when all this happen today there were no parents or loved ones to cry on their shoulders. There was just dorm staff. Now granted we love our kids, but when your finger gets chopped off in a fit of rage you want a mom, no matter how deep your heart is buried. Just yesterday he was telling our psychiatrist that he knows that he really messed up with his last adoptive family and wasn't sure that he would ever be loved. Then this happens to him. Poor "C", he never even had a chance.

I could tell you story after story like this and much worse. My job is a hard one and in some ways you have to become a little hard to with stand the demand that is placed upon your emotions and mind. If I were to let it all hit me, I would need medication myself. There are so many in my care that need more than this broken system and over worked case workers can give them. They need healing, restoration, love, determination, resounding affirmation, boundaries, and resurrection. These kids are made in His image and crafted from His dreams. God destined them all in the womb. It is unfortunate that not all of these wombs were the place of safety and refuge that they were designed to be. Oh if my womb could have housed them all. Oh if I would have been the one to hold them on that first day of life. If someone had cared enough, if someone had know how to love them rightly. What would they be like today? Who would they aspire to be in 10 years. One of the young men here says that he knows what he wants to be when he grows up. " I want to go to prison. My uncle did, my aunt did, and my dad did. You have to be tough to make it though. That is why I am here now". He never even had a chance.

Where are the mother's and father's. Turn their hearts to their children Lord!!!!! I am just blogging because my heart aches for these children of mine. My heart is also broken because I get so busy with paper work, logs, medication orders, and such that I forget to walk these halls and pray for them by name. I get so lost in talking to case workers and faxing consents to listen to God's heart for each of them. Oh Lord convict my heart again that they are under my "care". That while I am on duty I am responsible for them and to you for them. Pray for my children here at work. They are truly precious in His sight.
Blessings

6 comments:

HELLOmynameisBianca said...

I feel for these kids... God loves and cherish's them all. You are so right every child has value in God's eyes. You are doing what God has called you to do...only in and through prayer will this be accomplished. Many blessings to you!

Mike said...

Your blog has been recommended to us as a interviewee's favorite blog!
We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for Blog
Interviewer. We'd
like to give you the opportunity to
give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."
It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can
be submitted online here Submit your interview.
Best regards,
Mike Thomas

Cioara Andrei said...

Foarte interesant subiectul deybatut de tine.M-am uitat pe blogul tau si imi place ce am vazut, cu siguranta am sa mai revin o zi buna!

Cucurbita said...

I don't know how blogs work, I just started my own. I decided to click "next" and your's came up. Here's why I write:
I am a cake artist who as of Monday made a public declaration that my cakes have become my calling, rather than a business to pursue. I create cakes for hurting, neglected, mentally ill, and critically ill children in Central Ohio. I want to let you know about a now National org www.icingsmiles.org The founder Tracy, also feels it's her calling of God to match hurting kids, nationwide with these amazing volunteer cake artist. I encourage you to reach out to her! God bless you, your blog is a confirmation to my new direction.
Amanda Whited
Circleville, OH

Missa Taylor said...

I just stumbled onto your blog and it really touched my heart, it actually breaks my heart.
My husband and I experienced the heart break of a failed adoption a few months ago and it truly breaks my heart to see so many children with so many needs but what a great God we serve who can provide every one of those needs according to His riches and glory (phil 4:19). What a blessings children are - I will begin to pray for you daily and all the children you touch.
Be encouraged -Keep up the faithful work in "His" name. Rom 8:28, 1 Thess 5:24
Blessings,
Melissa

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

I lived in a ‘dorm’ like that growing up. Yes, when you are hanging your head over the toilet vomiting from some bug, or worse yet find your self with an amputated finger, no matter how absent or self absorbed she is you want your mommy. (Although I got in to the habit of saying “I want A Mommy” because I had learned over time that mine was pretty useless in a crisis.) Anyway, thanks for caring so much for your children, take it from me you are making a difference and you will be remembered.