April 27, 2010

The Amazing Creation

Last Thursday I was working at St. Joes' in surgery and had an interesting conversation with the OBGYN that I was working with. He and his son are in the same practice and are very good surgeons. We were performing a vaginal hysterectomy on a lady that came into the OR bleeding pretty bad. Once we got started I stated, " such a small organ to cause such big problems". I say things like that throughout procedures just to make conversation and sometimes I learn a lot more than I knew before. So in response to my observation the surgeon said " yes, but it is really an incredible organ". I agreed and also added that it is creativity in motion. We marveled for a few moments at all the things that the uterus and it's co horts do. Then I jokingly said " I bet you two wish you had one." This got a chuckle and then a resounding "NO".

I was listening to the bible on tape, the book of Mark, the part of the resurrection. The angels appeared to the women and they went in turn to tell the disciples and the men didn't believe them. In my head I was thinking "silly boys". Then I got to thinking and I put all these things together to ponder the amazing creation that the woman is. Here are my thoughts.

In the begining God created all things. It was good and he rested. Then He saw man and it was not good for him to be alone. So he created woman. Ok- right there I am struck with awe already and we are only in Genesis. Woman was the answer to the loneliness and the complete package of the perfect creation. The communion between man and God needed one more thing, woman. As women we were created to fill a void that nothing else in all creation could fill. Now I am sure that there are some husbands out there that would say ... "I would rather take the void", but God was pleased when he made us. That is profound. Though we were taken from the side of man we are created differently and uniquely. God didn't just put Adam to sleep to make a replica to keep him company. He created something very special to knit us together. I mean if you think of all that our little bodies can do it will make your head spin. Then on top of what our bodies can do think of all the things that we thing and do at the same time. We are like a circus act.

So moving on I looked then at several of the mother's of the faith. Sarah, Rachel, even Bethsheba in regards to the miracles that God performed through a woman. The promise coming forth from the barreness, seduction and sin redeemed with a son who became the wisest man on earth. Fastforward hundreds of years to a virgin girl chosen by heaven to carry the darling of heaven in her womb. We have a womb!!! A place were two worlds come together to make LIFE. It is amazing! Out of the womb came the savior of the world. Women that is amazing! God entered into his very own creation, under went the most amazing transformation from cell to form, to tiny baby born through toil and labor. It is divine. Fast forward 30 years and you see Jesus performing His first miracle at a wedding. What else speaks woman like a wedding? Then comes to a well to speak to a sinful woman that a whole village might be saved. Then in jerusalem He saves a prostitute from certain death and is annointed by Mary of Bethany. He frequented the house of Mary and Martha and I wonder if it was conforting to His heart to be around those woman? Then fast forward to the cross and His burrial. Once risen the angels do not trumpet his ascension on the city streets, but wait for those who come to pour love and frangrance over Jesus' body. Woman, those who tend and love well. Heaven entrusted these woman with the announcement that baffled the ages. Yet when it came out of their mouths, confirming the scripures of centuries, they were ignored. Typical. :-)

All this to say that I am always amazed everytime that I think on woman and our divine place in God's heart. So many times in the scripture a woman cries out and God meets her uniquely. I am blessed to be created a woman. I cling to the promises of Hannah's cry and Sarah's laughter that became a sacrifice for all of Israel. Though I wait on healing for my physical body, the heart of a woman beats in my chest. The heart that cries out for justice and prays with longing for fullness. The heart that will take in the stranger and share with the needy. The heart that would give my last cup of water to my child and pray for the rain. We were not a side note, but the icing on the cake of creation. Fearfully and wonderful crafted in the heart of God to serve a purpose and to give Him worship as only we can.
Blessings

1 comment:

BentonvilleGal said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful musings about women's place in creation, and their importance in God's works. Have you seen www.powerofmoms.com? You may enjoy it. . .