November 14, 2009

Just Another Day In the Neighborhood

I love that God has positioned our house right between IHOP and the HWY. I know that sounds funny but it seems so purposeful to me. I love IHOP...what it stands for, what we do there, I just love it. I am so grateful that I can walk there with stroller and baby in tow and spend my mornings joining in with prayers and watching my little Shiloh dance with angels. I also love that we live next to the HWY. Well a few blocks away. It reminds me of moving forward, of things that are coming our way. Now the rest of this post is completely unrelated. :-)
Today I had to teach a medication certification class at Spofford. It is to train the dorm staff that will be administering meds everyday. It is an 8 hr class and one that you would find very boring, I do. I try to make it as fun as you can make that type of thing, like throwing in jokes between teaching policy and procedures. When I got to work I sipped on my coffee and nibbled on my pumpkin bagel till the manager on duty came into my office to let me know that a serious medication error had occurred. I immediately started ordering things and getting vitals. I called the Dr. to get more advise and let my director of nursing in on the situation. It was 8:45am and my class was scheduled to start at 9am. Whoops! So as I was assessing the resident, looking over her chart and talking to the Dr. I started to stress. The resident was fine and the Dr. said that we just needed to observe her and to let the Dr. know of any changes. Then my boss tells me that I have to call the family and let them know of the situation, and also I have to write a serious occurrence document and fax it in to the state, who will then investigate it. Yikes! I took a deep breath and call the mother and as nicely and as professional as I can I tell her the facts and that her daughter is under my care and I will look after her. She took it OK, I mean can you imagine such a call at 9:30a? I type up the serious occurrence form and fax it to the state. Then I write my report and chart all that has been done. By this time it is almost 10am. Now in my frazzled state I go up to teach my class and realize that I have forgotten my teaching stuff. So I go back down the stairs get everything and start teaching at 10:15am. Crap 1 hour and 15 min behind. So I am teaching to my best ability making sure that I drill the proper medication administration procedures into their heads. All the while I am thinking about this poor little girl and what will happen to her. Well lunch comes and I check on our girl. She is doing fine minus a really bad headache. Then the manager on duty come to me and tells me that one of our girls ( a cutter) is wanting to hurt and kill her self. Great! So I am monitors my first situation, now contemplating what to do with the suicidal girl and all the while needing to finish teaching my class. It was an interesting day for sure. At the end of my teaching around 6pm I had a lady that has worked at Spofford for 7yrs tell me that out of all the med classes that she had attended that mine was the most informative. Oh I hope so! I then went to my office to finish charting on my first situation and to check on the cutter. She was better PTL. I clocked out and came to my awesome family to relax. I didn't get to relax at first, but now that everyone is in bed....I feel so much better. Stay tuned for more drama as I will be interviewing to scrub in surgery part time next week.

No comments: