June 8, 2009

Wow!

Sorry that I seem to have left my post for a while. So much has happened in a week I can hardly catch my breath to tell you. Here goes though....
Shiloh came down with fevers starting last weekend and by Wed. evening they were at 103/ 104 and holding. They had gotten that high, but I was able to get them back down. This worried me and though I am a nurse my brain went dead and my heart was in a panic. I called the urgent care nurse line and thank the Lord that as the nurse was talking I realized again that I indeed have a degree and was doing that right stuff. The next morning seemed to be a turning point and Shiloh perked up and started eating again. Great, since I was leaving Friday morning for a wedding in Arkansas. Friday morning came and as I was getting Shiloh ready I noticed this lovely rash taking over Shiloh's chest. I text a picture to my doctor and the P.A called back to tell me what she thought I should do. So I proceeded to AR. with my little rash unhappily strapped in. At the wedding she was fussy and as all my attempts to keep her entertained we failing I resigned myself to the entry of the church till the wedding was over. Yup I drove 4. 5 hours to stand in the entry way and miss the wedding. Oh well! Mothers you understand.
While I was talking once the wedding was over I realized that I had a voicemail. I listened and it was my doctor telling me that I needed to have Shiloh seen right away for strep. He had seen the picture and was worried. She was more fussy and the rash had spread so I got a little nervous. Thankfully my mother is a microbiologist at a local hospital in AR and ran the test for me to see if Shiloh has strep. It was negative so my mom being the get it done type, took Shiloh in her arms and headed down to the E.R. to have her looked at by a Dr. That was great since we were out of state and any Dr. would be really expensive. He looked at her "off the books" and said it was fifths disease a viral illness that would need to run its course. PTL!!
So after I left the hospital around 9pm I went to my in-laws and put the little lamb to bed. The next afternoon we headed for KC again. I was tired and irritated at the whole weekend and couldn't wait to get home. Half way home I received a phone call that a friend in St. Louis who has had a terminal illness for several years was dying and could we come and say good bye. She has been waiting for a transplant and now her kidney's and liver are shutting down so she was taken off the transplant list for good. Having that diagnosis she decided to stop the life sustaining drugs and go in peace. So I got home around 11pm on Sat. and on Sun we left for St. Louis around 10am. Needless to say that Shiloh wasn't happy to be going in the car seat again, but her rash had faded and she is a good sport, so little to no fussing occurred. PTL!! We got to the hospital in St. Louis around 3pm and stayed till 8pm visiting with our friend. To say the least it was sad and weird to being telling your friend good bye even though she didn't appear to be dying. She looked very ill, but not more than usual. Her family was there along with her children and friends. I am very sad for Misty, but she feels peace about this. She has suffered greatly the last 7 yrs with this illness and I have seen a beautiful woman shrivel. That is more painful that the thought of her at peace with Jesus. It seems a better way.
Though I was glad to be there,trying to keep Shiloh happy and off the floor was a task to be sure. I was relieved when we headed to the place we were staying for a well needed night of rest. This morning we woke up at 6:30am to be at the hospital by 8:30am when she was scheduled to stop all the life support measures. Well as hospitals go things we delayed and when we left at 10 am nothing had changed. Honestly we were glad that we didn't have to watch her dying. I never liked the oncology ward during nursing school because I can't stand to see people die, much less a friend.
So we got back into KC this afternoon at 3pm and I had to be at work at 3:30pm. I cannot wait to touch my head to my pillow tonight. I promised Shiloh that I wouldn't put her in the car seat tomorrow no matter what. I am sure that if she could understand me, she would be breathing a sigh of relief. :-)
SO in a nutshell that is what I have been up to. To be sure a boring week is welcomed in our home and a restful coming weekend is on our prayer list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted - you've been so on my heart the last day or two! Now, I know why - whew! You've been in a whirlwind! Ya' know - ya' just should have left Shiloh with us yesterday! :P I hope you are able to get some good rest tonight and this week. Luv ya! :)