February 10, 2008

How We Met


Steven and I have a rather funny history of our meeting. We both thought that the other was someone else and that led to some awkward first impressions. After a short time of hanging out with mutual friends we quickly formed a friendship that was as tight knit as our group. In the summer of 1998 after I graduated I decided to go into a ministry called YWAM. Steven and I said our goodbyes and something tugged at both our hearts. We kept in touch through letters and emails and growing closer while we were miles apart. I Once my 6 month program was up I transferred to another YWAM location for a second round of missionary training in Kona, HI. Steven and I stayed in contact, except our conversations and emails became more serious. We started talking about feelings and what is in the future for both of us. I was a little thrown off by it all and decided to slow it down. I emailed less and made shorter calls. When I returned home, Steven was a lot different than when I had left. He had grown in so many ways and I found myself looking at him in a different light. We both got jobs at a retail store in our area, and began spending more time getting know each other again. I had returned home in July and by November our relationship was beginning to blossom. I went to Seattle for a friends wedding and Steven went shopping. When I got back a week later we picked up where we had left off and I was none the wiser. In December we went with the young adults group on a skiing trip to Red River, New Mexico. It was beautiful there and Steven was prepared with his secret gift that he had bought. On the night before we left Steven asked me if I wanted to take a walk up the street to a little coffee shop. I said yes and we headed of. It began snowing as we walked and it was beautiful. On arrival to the coffee shop we found that it was closed. So we headed back to the lodge and sat on the porch swing. After chatting for a few minutes Steven declared that he had a gift for me. I was excited though naïve. He told me that he had known for sometime that his feelings for me were sure and that someday he wanted me as his wife. I was stunned and in awe. We had never talked like this before. He then knelt down and opened a ring box. The little diamond sparkled in the light of the porch light and emotions swept over me like a flood. It was a perfect snowy night against the backdrop of the New Mexico Mountains. I said yes and from that point on it was a blur. That was December, in February we set the date and in May we were married. I am truly blessed to say that I married my best friend. We have grown so close in these 8 years and now as we are starting a family, I am excited to see what the future holds.

No comments: