December 3, 2008

One Down, One To Go

I am not usually a huge holiday lover. This might be to the fact that I didn't grow up with a large family or holiday traditions. I have one brother and Steven's family is a little on the non-traditional side. So as we traveled to Arkansas for Thanksgiving this year I wasn't even thinking about the fact that this is my daughters first thanksgiving. I did bring a camera, yet sadly I took not one picture. At Steven's house we got there about an hour before we ate lunch. I was sad that there was no dressing, cranberry sauce, or marshmallows on the sweet potatoes. We talked about random topics and of course "Black Friday". After about three hours of our time there Steven's older brother and our sister-in-law left, Steven's mother went to a dance camp in TX. and his youngest brother went to hang out with friends. I felt a little sad, yet overwhelmed that my baby didn't want to sleep and was now a very cranky baby. So we just hung out that night with Steven's dad and went on to bed. The next day I ate breakfast with two great friends and was able to show Shiloh off a little. Afterwards we headed to our dear friends house to intro. Shiloh to my three god-children. Then we went back to Steven's home and packed to go to my family's house. We arrived and unloaded the massive cargo that it takes to sustain two adults, a baby (that was a lot), and oh yeah our huge German Shepherd. We we still full from munching on left overs so we ate a little turkey stuff around the TV. I am not a huge TV watcher, however my parents are, so that is what we do with them. The next day Steven and my dad cut down a huge tree and my mom and I went shopping. Later that night we were off to see friends of old and to show off our beautiful little angel. Sunday I went to the early service with my mom so that she could introduce Shiloh to her friends and then to eat at Cracker Barrel. Once we were stuffed with home cooking good we headed up hwy 71 to Kansas City once again. We hit some nasty weather on the way , so man was I glad to be home.

I was blessed to be home and to see family and friends, yet I felt a little lacking. I was reading blogs about peoples wonderful holidays and wished that had been me. I wanted to have a tradition and a huge meal, and a family time that left me feeling warm and thankful. Now that I have a daughter I wanted to cook, to prepare, and to host friends and family. I want to be home to eat and mingle with friends and their children. So Steven and I decided that we are going to start our own family traditions at Thanksgiving. We will invite family and friends and have a wonderful time of making memories and fun. For Christmas I don't do a tree but we are going to go and cut fresh greenery and decorate the house with stars , candles, and angels. We will make cookies and invite friends to decorate them and them give them away.
I am thankful that I will be making memories with my daughter for years to come and that my family is blessed of the Lord.

No comments: